Monday, November 21, 2011

Plans -- Knockara Stud Farm, Tipperary

Every day of my stay at Knockara with George, Maria, Tubby, and Leon feels like a once in a lifetime experience. The food is extraordinary, healthy, and authentic; the horses (although quite the handful) are athletic, intelligent, and exquisite; the scenery through which I ride consistently takes my breath away – in the “pinch myself to make sure I’m awake” sort of way. I spend a lot of time planning where to stay and what to do for the next few months, but when I’m not browsing couchsurfing, workaway, or helpex, I’m more present than I’ve ever been. I’m constantly learning new and wonderful things from George, am gaining confidence in my skills as a rider, and am learning how to coexist happily and comfortably with strangers better than I ever have. I love finding places to fit in strangers’ lives. The other morning I was sitting in the kitchen with my coffee and journal, and George walked in on his way out to feed the horses.

“Ah, you haf anozer role in our domestic game. You are rider, chef, and alarm clock. Your noise in za kitchen alvays vakes me up at just za right time.”

I am very happy to have these roles in George and Maria’s domestic game. However, it’s well into November and my time at Knockara is drawing to an end. As mentioned, I’ve been spending a good deal of time figuring out what the winter months will look like for me. I’ve decided that I’ve had enough WWOOFing for a while. I need a break from the “constantly at your disposal” feeling I get when volunteering for someone with whom I’m living. So I’m going to spend three weeks exploring Ireland by myself and then fly to Copenhagen to spend three weeks with my boyfriend’s family. It will be wonderful to spend Christmas in Denmark with Nina and Freddy (although I desperately wish Alex and Svetlana could be there as well).

Tentative plan for the winter months:

December 1st – 7th: A friend from yoga training (Roisin) has graciously agreed to host me in her hometown of Cork, Ireland. I’ve been dying to get down to Cork for the last few months, and am thrilled to finally have the opportunity to do so.  Cork has the reputation of being the culinary center of Ireland, as well as having a fabulous music and film scene. I also anticipate bountiful Internet.

December 7th -10th: Through couchsurfing, I’ve asked a girl from Galway (a film student named Sarah) to put me up for a few nights. She has given me a “most likely yes” answer, so I’m going to assume I have a place to stay. Galway is well known for its theatre, so I’m really excited to see what kind of plays are produced there. I’ve got a few finished scripts collecting metaphorical dust in the hard drive of my MacBook Pro, and I’m looking for theatre companies accepting original works. Who knows? Maybe my first professionally produced plays could be in Ireland.

December 10th -13th: Continuing my stay in Galway with Matthew, another fellow I met via couchsurfing.  I asked Matthew to host me for the weekend because six days seems to be a bit much to ask of any one couchsurfer. I also love the fact that couchsurfing allows me to meet so many unique, generous, welcoming people, and I’m going to exploit that wondrous aspect as thoroughly as possible.

December 13th – 16th: Hopefully couchsurf in Dingle

December 16th – 18th – Hopefully couchsurf in Limerick

December 18th -20th: couchsurf in Dublin with Lochlann, who has agreed to host me yet again.

December 20th – January 5th – Stay with Alex’s family in Copenhagen. Perhaps I can meet up with Mette (a Danish girl from yoga school) and she can show me the oven she’s designed.

January 5th – ? Volunteer in France through a program called Workaway.

So, this is where I’m currently at in my vagabonding, volunteering adventure. Key word is “currently”. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past five and a half months, it’s that plans change from day to day, and to never get too attached to any one opportunity. However, I am thoroughly convinced that there are many golden opportunities to be had, and that I will be fortunate enough to happen upon more than my fair share of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment