Saturday, December 10, 2011

Biting the Bullet and Buying Boots -- Galway


I’m starting this post from an old blue couch of a couchsufer’s college apartment in Galway City. The girl with whom I’m surfing is a ridiculously intelligent, very well traveled film student, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to meet her. She’s an avid hitchhiker, and is well on her way to convincing me to hitch for the remainder of my travels in Ireland.  She’s hitched her way around Europe a couple of times, and has yet to meet an unfriendly/dangerous person.

A good link for hitching tips: www.hitchwiki.com

My last few days with Roisin were very relaxed. I helped out her mom on the computer, ambled around the city, participated in another brilliant yoga class, enjoyed a vegetarian/celiac friendly dinner party with some of her friends, and was introduced to the film “Dirty Dancing.” And I played with Bunny nearly nonstop.

A clock tower in Cork. Each side has its own clock, and each clock tells a different time. No wonder Irish people are always late.  
One of Roisin's many pieces of beautiful art around the house. 

BUNNY
It was a delightful week.

I took the bus to Galway Wednesday morning, and arrived at the G Hotel late afternoon. For how small Ireland is, it sure takes a long time to get around. The narrow, windy roads really factor into the equation – especially with the admirable job the incessant roadwork does at keeping traffic piled up.

Sarah, my tiny, talkative, friendly host, met me at the G Hotel about half an hour after my bus dropped me off. She led me to her house, made me some coffee, and introduced me to her roommates. After sending Alex the rather perfunctory, “I’ve arrived at such-and-such destination alive and well” email, Sarah and I went out to explore Galway and purchase some groceries for a stuffed pepper dinner.

Inside the G
 The city of Galway is absolutely gorgeous at night this time of year. The Christmas lights lining the pedestrian streets makes everything seem warm and magical, even though it’s absolutely frigid out. Maybe that’s why I didn’t notice my toes going numb from the wet and the cold. I overestimated the water-resistant qualities of cute pair of converse Roisin gave me in Cork, and made the foolhardy decision to go out for a two hour long stroll in the rain. About thirty minutes into the walk, I lost all feeling in my feet. But I took the mind over matter approach and decided that ignoring my annoying appendages would be the best thing to do.

When Sarah and I finally got back to her unheated apartment, I realized I might have been a wee bit foolish. I took off my wet socks and shoes and realized just how frozen my feet really were. I couldn’t move my toes. They were swollen to about twice their normal size and a brilliant shade of red. I slept on the floor in Sarah’s room with a couple of rather thin blankets, so I didn’t really warm up during the night, either. Upon waking the next morning, I discovered to my dismay that I could hardly walk. Everything hurt. I had a deep, throbbing pain in all of my foot joints, a thousand-needles pain all over my skin, and my feet were massively swollen. It was a struggle to jam them into my shoes.

The day after my stupid walk. 
mostly recovered (six days later)
I left the apartment to buy some cheese and smoked mackerel for breakfast/lunch/dinner in the morning and to help Sarah record an advert for a school project in the afternoon, but that was it. For the rest of my day in the beautiful city of Galway, I sat on Sarah’s couch and contemplated my stupidity.

The next day, I decided to bite the bullet and buy boots. I am now 50 euros down, but I will at least be able to enjoy the cities in which I stay instead of being confined to a couch with defrosting feet.

It’s been really interesting living in a college house again. The whole interchangeable beds/couches thing and the extremely late nights kind of caught me off guard after spending so much time on organic farms with folks a bit beyond their college years.  Of the three nights I’ve stayed at Sarah’s, one was spent on the floor of her bedroom, one was spent in her bed, and one was spent on the couch downstairs. All three nights, the roommates were up until at least five in the morning. I felt all sorts of nostalgic.

I’m meeting my second couchsurfing host today at three. I’ll be staying with Matt and his fiancé for three days, sharing their apartment just outside of Galway proper As I haven’t been able to arrange stays with any couchsurfers after Matt (people don’t seem to be responding this time of year), I’m going to try my luck at hitching back to Cork to stay with Roisin from the 13th to the 18th. She’s been so wonderfully generous in agreeing to host me again, and all I can really say is that she’ll always be welcome to stay with me in the States – when I eventually find my way back to America and somewhat settle down.

The Christmas Market -- there are hats and scarves EVERYWHERE

Christmas Market

One of the pedestrian streets. 


No comments:

Post a Comment