Friday, September 27, 2013

The Echo -- Nice, France

He who fears he shall suffer already suffers what he fears. 

~Michel de Montaigne  

I'm starting this post from Castel Plage (I first wrote Castle Plague... that would be an interesting sort of place from whence to commence a post).

Not a soul swims in the sea. A few committed white tourists (probably of the Atlantic ocean hardened Irish variety) dip their toes.

Most of us sit on the rocky beach with books, shooting the overcast sky resentful glances and sighing regretfully.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of Mediterranean life. I am afraid I'm afflicted with a serious case of first world problems.

Plunk
Kerplunk

Two sweet looking grey haired tourists toss rocks into the sea. It is sometimes strange to me that this is how people choose to spend their time.

Wordless.
Sitting on an abandoned beach (by sun and natives).
Launching stones into the waves.

Plop
Kerplop

The grey stones sink into the green grey.

Even the pigeons have found a better way to occupy their time.

A brave Asian has submerged a toe. A sacrifice for a picture in front of the rippling sea with the vast silhouette of a ferry in the background.

As my departure date looms closer and closer in my future, I once again feel the sharp pangs of loneliness in my gut. Sure, loneliness is mixed with excitement for new adventures, but leaving behind the comfortable, fulfilling relationships in Nice for the unknown of Germany is unsettling.

As it always is. The end of each stay is a giant leap of faith.

Leaping from a frying pan into the unknown is easy.

Leaping from a Tempur-Pedic mattress with a down duvet into the unknown can be challenging.

I love moving and I love meeting people, but sometimes I get tired of relearning all the rules.

Where am I allowed to sit?
What am I allowed to eat?
When do I wake up in the morning?
Where do I sleep?
What are my working hours?
What is my work?
Can I unpack my toothbrush?
Do I hug you? Kiss you? Shake your hand?
How do I fit into your life?

One of the things I love and hate the most is that traveling erases my past.

No past = no expectations (love)
No past = no reminiscing (hate)

Here's a short play I wrote to better understand my feelings regarding movement.



It seems that laughter needs an echo

~Henri Bergson

THE ECHO
by
Aimee Bourget 

VAGABOND
When’s the last time you laughed?

RESIDENT
I laughed this morning.

VAGABOND
At yourself?

RESIDENT
At my daughter.

VAGABOND
Why?

RESIDENT
She asked her grandfather why all the hair grew on the back of his head.

VAGABOND
Well?

RESIDENT
Well what?

VAGABOND
What did he say?

RESIDENT
He said that children get money for their lost teeth and old men get money for their lost hair. It’s his retirement fund.

VAGABOND
Did she laugh?

RESIDENT
No.

VAGABOND
Why not?

RESIDENT
Because she believed him. Her eyes got big and round and serious and she asked what old women lose for their retirement fund.

VAGABOND
And?

RESIDENT
Grandpa looked and grandma and said that old women lose their marbles.

VAGABOND
Oh. And did she laugh?

RESIDENT
Yes.

VAGABOND
Why?

RESIDENT
Because we were laughing.

VAGABOND
Because you were laughing.

RESIDENT
And you?

VAGABOND
Me?

RESIDENT
Sure.

VAGABOND
I wasn’t there.

RESIDENT
Of course not.

VAGABOND
Then what?

RESIDENT
When’s the last time you laughed?

VAGABOND
Which kind?

RESIDENT
Does it matter?

VAGABOND
I watched a stupid movie and I laughed at an inane joke because I was feeling lonely and wanted to relate with something. (beat) Does that count?

RESIDENT
Another kind.

VAGABOND
I stepped in dog shit and laughed because I didn’t want to curse in the park. You know how mothers are with their “don’t you dare pollute my babies, you filthy bastard” dirty looks.

RESIDENT
Another kind.

VAGABOND
I laughed when my tests came back negative.

RESIDENT
For?

VAGABOND
I laughed.

RESIDENT
For?

VAGABOND
Relief. You know, the kind of laughter sandwiched between silence. A slice of fear, toasted golden and spread with a thin layer of resignation... then the laughter... then the stark slice of “well, that’s good news, what now?”

RESIDENT
When’s the last time your laughter had momentum?

VAGABOND
Momentum requires a collision.

RESIDENT
When’s the last time you collided?

VAGABOND
Two months ago. I chanced upon a friend I’d met more than a year before.

RESIDENT
You laughed?

VAGABOND
We laughed.

RESIDENT
At what?

VAGABOND
A memory. A reminiscing elbow jab. An echo. We remembered Paris. We laughed about the pigeons... the, the pigeons in Paris. Hilarious, right? But the laughter felt like it was rolling down a grassy hill, playfully, easily bouncing, speeding along. It wasn’t the “I must laugh in the proper place so not to offend” laughter of first dates at nice restaurants or job interviews with pressed suits. That’s the tedious laughter that picks its way down scree slopes.

RESIDENT
Two months.

VAGABOND
Two months.

RESIDENT
Two months without a laugh that wasn’t forced or feigned?

VAGABOND
It’s a long time to go without a laugh.

RESIDENT
A long time.

VAGABOND
I move too quickly to hear the echo.

RESIDENT
Move –


Lights out. End of play.



Here's where I'm moving to next. After a short stint of couchsurfing in Frankfurt, that is. 


Description


We are looking for a workawayer from as soon as possible until about October 19th

We have about 30 alpacas, 2 dogs, numerous cats. Animals are part of our lives and so is their hair :-) So if you are allergic to cats or dogs, or even dust and hay, you should consider a different place to stay.

There is no public transportation, but usually there are lots of young people here, so you should not be bored. The area is great for hiking and cycling. The Rhine River, famous for its old castles and ruins is not too far away and we would love to take you there.

If you consider to stay with us, you should be able to stay for 2 weeks minimum. Exceptions are possible sometimes. You should be over 20, physically fit and don't mind physical work.

One last thing: We love dogs, however, it will not be possible that you bring your own dog, since one of our dogs will not tolerate other dogs in our house, sorry!

Area

Rheinland-Pfalz

Type of work

Help with Computers / internet,
Language practise,
Animal care,
Help in the house,
Farming,
General Maintenance,
Cooking / shopping,
Building,
Gardening

Work

You can do anything from gardening, taking care of the animals, house remodeling, cooking etc.

There is all kinds of work to do at our 400 year old farm, which we bought only a few years ago. Your job would mainly be to take care of the alpacas (clean the barn and feed them), but there are lots of other things to help with according to your skills and preference. The work you do is physical work and can be quite hard at times, but of course there will be plenty of time to relax.

Languages spoken

German and English

Accommodation

1 room for 1 - 2 people

Some more information

Internet access
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers

Volunteering hours expected

5

Preconceptions: None

Challenges: None

General Observations: Nice smells like dog piss. Really. Everyone seems to have at least one small, fluffy, caterpillar-like looking dog, and these dogs shit and piss everywhere. People do not clean up after their animals, so pedestrians must be constantly aware of where they're putting their feet.

Because it's never just mud. And it's never just water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment