Sunday, November 30, 2014

Girls Go to the Grand Canyon -- Phoenix, Arizona

I'm starting this post from Philip's apartment near downtown Phoenix.

It's the end of November.

The door is open and the fan is on.

Colorado girl is so confused right now. 

The apartment is so damn cozy. Carpet just long enough to wiggle toes in. Stylish chairs and couches that surprise you with how comfortable they are.

Pineapple couches. 

The shelf under the TV is stuffed with books on yoga, haircutting, nails, aromatherapy and oils.

 I could really enjoy reading most of those. Or at least flipping though them and lusting after the fauxhawks I can't have. 

There is an abundance of alcohol in the corner. And more in the cabinet by the fridge. And more in the fridge.

Girls be partying today. Housewarming + Philip's birthday + Robert's birthday = potentially epic party this afternoon.

Robert and I left Pagosa Springs at around ten o'clock yesterday morning. We stopped at a coffee place for waffles and latte.

There are several types of hungry people in this world. The different kinds of hunger are revealed whilst roadtripping.

Aimee's hunger: mmm... I haven't eaten in a while. Food. Food could be nice. If it happens soon, I wouldn't say no.

Robert's hunger: GAH! Must. Eat. NOW. But what can I eat? WHAT DO I WANT? Just... so... HANGRY. But nothing looks good! DILEMMA!

My type of hunger is much more conducive to roadtripping. Robert's hunger must be managed, else HANGER will occur.

We anticipated and prevented future hanger with blueberry waffles.

Because where waffles exist, hanger cannot survive.


I want ALL of these mugs. 
Our first stop was Four Corners. That one place where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico meet.

I've never seen so many Native Americans before... it's sad that I've lived in the US for over twenty years and haven't experienced much... or any... of its history. 

This part of America is populated by the Hopi, Navajo, Ute and Zuni nations.

One day. One day I will find a way to learn about the people who made their homes here so long ago. I doubt it will be through workaway or helpex... I'll have to be super clever. I would love to experience their spirituality. Their connection with nature. Their craftsmanship. And I would love to have all my preconceptions smashed. 

Which would be a hell of a lot of smashing. 

We waited for approximately seventeen years before all the other tourists finally finished taking their pictures and we got our turn.





We stopped at Kayenta to satisfy Robert's hanger and my "I could probably eat some yogurt at some point".

I fell asleep several times. I blame Robert's heated seat for seducing me into slumber.

"I mean, I suppose it makes sense," Robert said as I woke up from my seventh nap. "You are... what was it? Queen of naps?"

"No, Robert. No. Goddess of naps. Totally different," I managed to slur before I drifted off again.

This is where I admit that I am not the best of roadtrip buddies. I do my best to stay awake, but sunshine and heated seats that get nigh horizontal turn this goddess of naps into a puddle of drooling vagabond.

We arrived at the Grand Canyon a little after four thirty. Robert spent a goodly portion of the drive from Four Corners to the South Rim apologizing for running late.

"ROBERT. You are taking me to see the Grand Canyon. This. Is amazing. If you apologize one more time, I'm gonna have to smack a bitch. Regardless of whether or not you're driving. Besides, the timing will be perfect. We'll be there just in time for the sunset."

Which we were.

And that's when my brain stopped working.

And awe set in.


"Wow... just... umm... wow."

There are times when words fail.


This was one of those times.


"Wow... just... umm...wow."

Words failed Robert, too.



Robert. I still love you. I can't believe you're doing this for me. Thanks for being such an amazing part of this new adventure. 


"Now I can tell all those people who keep saying "Colorado! Yes! Grand Canyon!" that the Grand Canyon it's actually at least seven naps away from where I lived in Colorado."


We will build our kiva somewhere around here. 
Or here. 
or here...
Anywhere, really. We're not picky. 
The sun went down. We loaded back into Robert's blue legacy and drove the three and a half hours to Phoenix.

Where his fiancé fed us chicken wrapped in prosciutto and covered in cheese. And pecan, blue cheese, cranberry salad. And absolutely phenomenal cocktails.

"Robert. You need to keep him. He's a good one."

"I plan on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment