Wednesday, July 15, 2015

There's More -- Merida, Mexico

I believe these are the words I've heard most frequently during the last five days. 

"There's more," Jose says as he slices the manchego (a very popular hard cheese in Mexico). 

"There's more," Jose says as he pours me a generous helping of Baileys. 

"There's more," Jose says as a sip my pina colada on the beach. 

What incredibly generous people. Oh my goodness. 

"It's the reason I make money," Jose told me before we departed for our outing on the beach. "So I can spend it on friends." 

That sounds like something my Boy would say...

I leave Jose and Lau today. I'll be meeting Ricardo, my final couchsurfing host for this stint in Mexico, at 5:30 in front of the cathedral. I wish I could just stay in this lovely home for the rest of my time in Merida, but I don't like to burden hosts for more than a few days. And even though the majority of my couchsurfing hosts invite me to stay longer and tell me I'm not a burden at all, I still can't help feeling like one. 

Monday afternoon was spent dodging cars and buses in Merida -- 


They have police in many major intersections to help the flow of traffic. Police plus stoplights. 


Welcome to the Yucatan avocado. Welcome to the land wherein you can buy FIVE enormous, creamy Yucatan avocados for... ten pesos. That's about seventy-five cents. 
I spent a couple of hours in The Italian Coffee Company, drinking that ridiculously priced cappuccino and writing my blog, and then wandered out into Merida's main market.





Feeling a bit peckish (and having been told by everyone in San Cristobal to try them), I found a relatively quiet corner in the mercado wherein I could taste a panucho.


A panucho or two.


They were... um... not gross. Not gross and dirt cheap. If you are interested in making your own panuchos(es?), I find that this website provides a most excellent tutorial: Yucatan Living -- PANUCHOS

And yesterday was spent at the beach.

Your first time at the Gulf, girl. Congratulations on vagabonding your way to a whole new body of water. 

The time we spent at the beach distinctly not reminiscent of vagabonding, however. Jose treated all of us ladies to pińa coladas and the Yucatan style tapas that accompanied them.



Dear Spain, 

Seriously. 

You've got to up your tapas game. 

Lookie here at what you get for ordering ONE drink in the Yucatan. ONE DRINK. 

Best wishes, 

-Aimee



P.S. 

Spain? 


Lau and I went for a walk and a swade. For which I foolishly did not apply sunscreen and am now slightly burnt.

I haven't been sunburnt since Puerto Escondido. Oof. The last few months have been spent in deliciously cool mountains. God, this is such a drastic transition. 


The water felt sublime. Unbelievably warm for this Coloradan and beautifully calm for this aquaphobe.



When Lau and I returned from our swade, we found Jose and Shirley still seated at the restaurant (there were more piña coladas...), but ready to head out.

We shared the evening together, drinking Baileys, eating popcorn and watching a French film. 

This is what allows me to travel for so long. This is what keeps me going. Having the opportunity to share life -- if only for a week -- with people like Lau and Jose and Shirley. 

But my current adventure is swiftly drawing to a close. Only eight more days until I board my flight back to Denver and Boy. 

(I have been eating avocados and mangos every day, in anticipation of the incoming shortage)

Boy will be waiting for me at Arrivals with a backpack full of cheese, wine, peanut butter and noosa yogurt (it's nigh impossible to find unsweetened yogurt in Mexico). His soccer ball will be at his feet and he'll probably have already found my backpack from the baggage belt. 

And that. That is what makes going back to Colorado feel like going...home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment