Thursday, June 16, 2016

Fun Coupons -- Seattle, Washington

I'm starting this post from Barista Cafe in Portland, Oregon. Boy sits at the bar to my left. Our elbows brush against each other as he reads and I write. Part of me thinks it's romantic and the other part feels annoyed and encroached upon. Bright Eyes plays in the background, though I can hardly hear the music over the animated chattering of the couple to my right and the friends to my left. 

In front of me is a four dollar, eight ounce latte. Probably the most expensive latte I've ever bought in the US. It's delicious, but still pales in comparison to the display window cafe Doug and Emily introduced us to in Seattle on Monday morning. 


"I'll take a twelve ounce latte," I ordered my usual.

"I'll take a twelve ounce latte," Boy ordered my usual.

"Surprise me," Doug ordered his usual.

I need to do that more often... I think I'm getting decent enough at saying, "surprise me!" in life's big events over which I've discovered that I have little to no control anyway. But... the few areas of my life that are under my control, I DO control. And I close myself to little delights like a hazelnut blackberry latte. 

We spent the rest of the morning meandering around Downtown Seattle. Doug led us to the market, where we saw many a fish filleted in less time than it takes me to put on my socks, all manner of crafts and Bigfoot paraphernalia.



Emily and Doug say that Seattle is under constant construction. Here's the construction of today. 

We tried varieties of jam made from berries I'd never heard of before, and discussed the differences between jam, jelly and preserves in great detail.



Then we walked to a bar/restaurant called, "The Local Eatery" so that Emily could join us for lunch and Boy could watch the Euro Cup. Again.

We passed the world's first Starbucks on our way. And didn't even contemplate joining the gargantuan line for a cup of original Starbucks.


We also passed a wine and chocolate shop.

Without contemplation, Boy spun on his heel and beelined for the door. Where he talked wine with the owner of the shop and lusted after some bottles of old Cabernet Sauvignon. For like, half an hour.


This is probably what Boy thought every Tuesday/Thursday morning at 6:00 when I asked him to get ready to come to yoga with me. 
 The Local Eatery.


I've forgotten which team has played which team and who's put the most balls in the point hole (soccer is a foreign language to me). I don't really watch the ball or care which team does the winning. I only pay attention to the slow-motion shots of players missing the point hole, hitting the point hole, pretending to be fouled on, getting all dramatic and indignant with the referee if foul is not called, and watching the fans lose their bananas when their team wins.


"Have you been to the banana cart?" Emily asked during halftime.

"No... There's a banana cart?"

"Yes. Right outside. Go get a banana!"

This is what truly makes Seattle great. Not the awesome theatre or the renewable energy or the diversity or the mind-bogglingly good food or the convenient bike lanes everywhere... no... it's the community banana cart. Wherein anyone can waltz up and grab a free banana. 
 Emily returned to work and Boy, Doug and I returned to our meandering. My feet ached and my right knee creaked and groaned.

I'm okay for today... I mean, I hurt, but I'll be fine. Oof. But this makes me a little nervous. We've only walked a few miles and I'm not wearing a heavy bag and I STILL hurt... What will it be like in Europe? In... two weeks? When I'm hitchhiking and walking across Iceland? 

I'm sure life will surprise me with something. But I hope it doesn't hurt too much. 


We found baby geese,



-- discovered just how bike friendly Seattle really is,

This is a bike repair station. 
 -- and how people in Seattle walk their dogs.

 
We walked past the Space Needle, 


-- saw the Sonic Blooms,


-- and hypothesized about how climbable this structure was...



We walked along the water,


-- saw bizarre fountains,



-- and an even more bizarre gum wall.

I love all the business cards. 

Doug used to work at a French restaurant called Loulay. He and Emily are aware that Boy are I... uhh... don't hate food, so they reserved a table for us on Monday night. 

Boy and I experienced our first bout of, "we're unemployed and on a budget frustration." 

"What should I tell them?" Boy asked me the night before. 

"Well... just that we're not working anymore and that we would really love to go, but our vagabond budget doesn't include gorgeous French restaurants. Maybe ask if it would be okay for us to get an appetizer and a drink to share..." 

But when we proposed this solution to Doug and Emily, Doug said, "No, don't worry. We got you." Then proceeded to tell us the story of Ellie (A story I am about to paraphrase the crap out of. And may or may not even have Ellie's name right). 

Characters

Doug ------ male, in his teens, recently unemployed
Ellie ------- female, in her teens, employed

Setting --- a fast food restaurant in Grand Junction
Time ----- A few years back

Doug: Thank you so much for buying me lunch. 

Ellie: Doug... What is money?

Doug: "mumbles something clever" 

Ellie: No, Doug. Money is fun coupons. Right now, I have more fun coupons than you. And that's okay. And fun coupons aren't at all fun to spend on yourself. So, you're helping me use my fun coupons. 

 So Doug and Emily cashed in a few fun coupons on a dinner for six at Loulay. If they hadn't, Boy and I would have been in quite the dilemma, as I would have taken one look at the exquisite menu and said something like, "Screw Europe, I'm having those pork chops!" 


Our last night in Seattle was full of music, "How I met Your Mother" and me thinking (often out loud), "so... if we aren't ale to find work in France... maybe I could live in Seattle..."

"You've got a place here," Doug said. "First month free, after that, 500 dollars a month." I've read enough of your blog to think I know what kind of city would work for you. And I think you'd be happy here."

"I think I would..." I thought to myself. Sometimes out loud.

Now that I feel peace about ending up in Grand Junction again if my plans go awry (as they always do), I've finally found another place that could be a home base or a plan B. Maybe that's what the universe was waiting for. Me to feel peace before moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment