Monday, July 15, 2013

Challenges and Preconceptions from Ireland

I have been writing posts all afternoon. Sometimes I wonder whether or not the energy I put into this project is really worth it, but writing is good for me. And I love it. So I write.

Ireland. Dear Ireland. This is the last post you'll be getting for a good while (unless my plans change). I thought I'd wrap this captivating, confusing, magical country up with a final blurb relating back to my challenges.

So.
  
animals 
    • Beginner: Red Admiral Butterfly = HIT -- but no picture, unfortunately. The little guys just move too quickly.
    • Intermediate: Red Deer = MISS -- I tried to find the deer in Phoenix Park, but the park was too large and I didn't have enough time to track them down. They don't really run wild in Ireland, so you definitely have to go out of your way if you want to see them. As goes for most animals in Ireland. Other than terriers and horses and cows and sheep. Ireland only has 26 native mammals, and most of them are dwindling in numbers. Except perhaps the mice. They soldier on. Inside the cupboards and under the refrigerators and behind the cookers, they soldier on.
    • Expert: Red squirrel = MISS -- The grey squirrel is taking over Ireland. Red squirrels are endangered now, and so rare that they certainly weren't spotted by the likes of me.
     birds
    • Beginner: Pied Wagtail = HIT -- I've seen these cheery, bouncy birds all over Ireland.
    • Intermediate: European Robin = HIT -- see above.
    • Expert: Hoopoe = MISS -- Haven't seen a feather of the Hoopoe.
     plants
    • Beginner: Yellow Bleedingheart - Corydalis lutea/Pseduofumaria lutea = MISS -- Didn't see this anywhere.
    • Intermediate: Green Alkannet - Pentaglottis sempervirens = MISS-- Saw some similar blue flowers, but they weren't the Green Alkannet.
    • Expert: Spring Squill - Scilla verna = MISS -- believe I struck out on plants for Ireland. There were so many beautiful flowers -- I just didn't see any of these.
    foods
    • Beginner: Handcrafted Cheese = HIT -- I indulged in handcrafted cheeses with religious regularity.
    • Intermediate: Blood Sausage = HIT -- I love blood sausage. If you're in Ireland and you'd like to try blood pudding, I'd recommend the clonakilty brand. The sausage is delicious, gluten-free, and contains no artificial ingredients/nitrates/nitrites.
    • Expert: Corned Pigs Feet = HIT -- and nasty. Do not recommend you try this at home.
    booze
    • Beginner: Real Irish Coffee = HIT -- I prefer Bailey's coffee, but the whiskey is good too. I feel more manly when I drink it.
    • Intermediate: Bulmer's Cider = HIT -- Far too many times.
    • Expert: Poitin = HIT -- in the form of truffles from a wonderfully sweet chocolate lady in Kinsale
    visual arts
    • Beginner: Dissect Color (ongoing) = HIT -- I've been fairly consistent about dissecting color in this blog.
    • Intermediate: Analyze Street Art (ongoing) = HIT -- street art in Ireland was rare and unremarkable. The street music is what seemed to make the cities come alive. Music, poetry, and plays are the heartbeat of Ireland.
    • Expert: Find Celt Art = HIT/MISS -- I saw a bit of Celt art in the odd gallery or museum, but once again, the displays were unremarkable. Visual art does not seem to be a high priority in this country.
    performing arts
    • Beginner: Listen to a session in an Irish pub = HIT -- I was able to listen to an abundance of excellent Irish music during this trip.
    • Intermediate: Ask someone to teach me three steps in traditional Irish dance = MISS -- Roisin demonstrated a few steps for me, but we missed the Ceili wherein I was supposed to learn to perform them on my own. Due to sickness and such. C'est dommage. Next time I go to Ireland, I will learn to dance.
    • Expert: Watch a play written by an Irish playwright = HIT -- Molly Bloom, you were amazing.
    history
    • Beginner: The Famine Sculptures = HIT -- I won't forget the shape of those shadow statues for a good long while.
    • Intermediate: Bannow Bay = MISS -- Just too far away.
    • Expert: Inishmurray = MISS -- See above.
    architecture
    • Beginner: A Norman Tower-house = HIT -- Saw several of these throughout the country.
    • Intermediate: A Round Tower = HIT -- The beautiful round tower in Glendalough
    • Expert: A Grange Stone Circle = MISS -- I'll see one of these next time -- when I'm independent and can travel here to there at my leisure.
  • language
    • Beginner: How to "cheers!" in Ireland = HIT = Roisin helped me with this one.
    • Intermediate: An idiom equivalent for, "to be thrown for a loop".  = HIT -- Roisin also helped me with this.
    • Expert: Find someone to read "Cúirt An Mheán Oíche" in Gaelic = MISS -- Sadly. I couldn't find anyone who spoke Gaelic who was willing to help me with this.

      Preconceptions

      1. Ireland is a country of constant deluge -- BUSTED
      2. People drink an abundance of alcohol -- CONFIRMED
      3. It's green everywhere. Due to aforementioned deluge -- BUSTED
      4. People still struggle with religious repression -- CONFIRMED (in regards to abortion, anyway)
      5. Many are poor -- eh. Poor is relative.
      6. Red hair dominates the heads -- BUSTED
      7. Strong tempers are unusually prevalent -- BUSTED
      8. There resides an intense hatred of England -- BUSTED
      9. High national pride in the hearts of most -- eh. I didn't really notice one way or the other.
      10. Half an hour late is early -- CONFIRMED
      11. People eat potatoes with most meals -- CONFIRMED
      12. Four cups of coffee/black tea a day is normal -- CONFIRMED
      13. Everyone owns at least one pair of wellingtons -- CONFIRMED
      14. They tend to get overenthusiastic about sports -- CONFIRMED

No comments:

Post a Comment