Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Facts and Figures -- Newport, Wales


This series of posts will vary dramatically from my usual method of documenting adventures. Why? Because I got so sucked into the scenery that I didn’t want to stop looking at it long enough to write about it (and I think I just needed a break from blogging).

Blogging is a beautiful thing and serves several purposes. It keeps me connected to family and friends, gives me a splendid outlet as an aspiring writer, and helps me accomplish my goal of making the world a more accessible place for people who want to travel.

It does have its downsides, though.

I pick my way through a woodland trail and think, “I pick my way through a woodland trail swallowed by a morning mist. Filling my lungs, I savor the sent of the woods. The refreshing leaves and the rotting branches. Opening my ears, I soak in the sounds of the forest. The bubbling brooks, the bombinating bees, the whispering wind rustling the leaves. Opening my eyes, I survey the sights. The gnarled and expressive trees grasping this way and that, no rhyme or reason to where their ivy adorned branches -- ach, *Thump*, OOF!”

I poetically stumble over a raised root I hadn’t spotted because I was far too busy narrating my life to notice it as it unfolded before me. This sort of processing creates a lag time similar to the one I experience when trying to decipher a thick accent or dialect. I have to repeat the words in my head before I actually understand what the person has just tried to communicate. A good reader can look at words on a page and not have to sound them out in her head – she simply, efficiently, absorbs without having to reiterate. She doesn’t have to put her voice to the words of the writer.

During my stay in Newport, I wanted to forgo this pesky lag time and be as completely present as possible. I desired to experience the country and culture without writing a blog in the back of my mind.

So I didn’t write, as you might have noticed. I jotted down interesting facts and fun quotes when I felt an irresistible urge, but I primarily let go of my blog/website for the week. I let go of my blog and I tried to absorb. I focused on consuming, appeasing my hypersensitive guilt complex with promises that I’d get back to that obnoxious creating business at a later date.

I’ve consumed. Now I’m back. The experience of Wales won’t be as intimate for my readers because there is a week of space clouding my mind, but it was much more intimate for me.  

Wales.

Why don't people talk about Wales all the time? I've heard all about the buildings in Rome, the museums in Paris, the pubs in Dublin, and the theatre in London, but nobody ever mentioned the walks in Wales.  

Nobody even mentioned where Wales is. I probably wouldn't have known if I hadn't been volunteering with Kim in Dunmore, Ireland of 2011. My older brother bought me a Celtic cross necklace with a glossy green rock in the center from Wales during a school trip when he was fifteen. If it had not been for this cross, I wouldn't have known Wales existed. If it hadn't been for Kim, I wouldn't have known of the striking cliff faces, vibrant greens, or winding trails. She opened up her laptop on Sinead's couch in the old farmhouse in Dunmore, showed me a few shots of the views from around her town of Newport, and I fell a little bit in love (I find it very easy to fall in love with oceans, jagged rocks, and rolling hills). 

Wales is wonderful. How this country is not on everyone's top ten destinations list, I have no idea. My experience thus far has been friendly people, beautiful countryside, delicious food, and superb coffee. 

WALES (CYMRU), PART ONE
FACTS AND FIGURES 
·      The national animal is the dragon. I find this awesome and hilarious and feel somewhat embarrassed of my Colorado Bighorn Sheep. Walking down the street, through the woods, down the aisle of a supermarket, or sitting on a bus, one sees dragons absolutely everywhere. I suppose I’d find this somewhat overly patriotic under normal circumstances (as I would if people from the US insisted on decorating their homes and businesses and billboards with bald eagles), but I’m utterly charmed by this Welsh dragon. I usually see the fellow wearing a dopey grin and gazing up at me with big, puppy-dragon eyes.  And I just go, “awww....”


Which is not one’s normal reaction to dragons. Or so I hear.

·      The flag is a red dragon on a white and green field. This is the only time the dragon appears to be somewhat fierce. 

·      The population is almost 3 million. A grand 4.8 percent of the population of the UK.

And while I’m on the subject, let’s talk about the UK and its constituents. The difference between Britain and England has always been a bit hazy for this newly fledged American, so I’m going to break it down here. That my readers might never offend a native of Ireland, Scotland, or Wales (and that I might remember better in the future).
The United Kingdom: Made up of Scotland, England, Wales and NORTHERN Ireland
Great Britain: Made up of England, Scotland and Wales
The British Isles: Made up of ALL of Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales
With this information, know that a person from Scotland is every bit as British as a person from England. However, many people from Wales, Scotland and Ireland do not call themselves “British” because they fear (correctly so) that many will misconstrue them as English. Which they are loath to be.
Keep in mind that the entire UK is part of the EU but NOT a part of the Schengen Area. This is why I can spend three months in the UK and then hop on over to the Schengen Area for another three months of travel without violating my 90-day tourist visa.

·      The motto is "Wales for ever."  
·      Anglicism and Methodism are the most prevalent religions. Christianity as a whole dominates the principality, boasting more than two million followers
·      Wales is every bit as Celtic as Ireland, having been settled by the Celtic Britons after the Romans withdrew in the 5th century. This actually took me by surprise – I wasn’t expecting to see so much Celtic art or Celtic culture in Wales.
·      The highest point is 3559 ft. Mount Snowdon would tremble at the sight of the 14,440 foot Mount Elbert in Colorado, but Wales makes up for its rather diminutive mountains with its breathtaking coastline. Something we haven’t got a lot of in my homeland.
·      Dairy products are of extremely high-quality. The soil is too poor for agriculture, so most of the Welsh economy is based off of livestock farming and mining. However, the mining industry is in decline and the Welsh people now have to rely heavily on tourism. Not American tourism, though. Most of the tourism in Wales is supplied by their fellow British, the English.
·       Roald Dahl is Welsh! This alone makes Wales completely awesome and worthy of a gander. My childhood was made magical by a Welshman. 
·      The national game is rugby. *Ahem* The national identity is rugby.
·      As in Ireland, all public signs are written in Welsh and English.

No comments:

Post a Comment