Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Teaching Thai -- Vis, Croatia

I'm starting this post from the main dining room of the villa. Nicola (an easy-going Italian chap) stirs in his bed upstairs and I try to slow my breath, lessen my fidgeting and lighten the strokes of my pen so as not to wake him. The fridge rumbles and moans (and makes me feel less guilty about the noise I'm making). An insect of some kind or other clicks, ticks, chirps on the wall to my left. The sink drips fitfully. My belly is pleasantly occupied by apple and pag cheese, so for once, it is the one place in the room from whence no grumbles originate. 

It's 5:45. I'm waiting here until 6:00 rolls around and I can lead two of the more athletic girls through an optional vinyasa flow. Their physical needs weren't quite met by Domagoj's gentle, pranayama based classes, so I invited them to join in on my personal practice. It'll be fantastic to work with people who really want to be there. Free, optional classes are the absolute best. No obligation -- only gratitude.

"Thank-you for coming."

"Thank-you for letting us be here."

Domagoj's teaching style is slow. Slow and... fractureed and judgmental and long-winded.

There's a valuable lesson to be learned here. This encyclopedia of knowledge doesn't seem to have a filter. When I teach in the future, make sure that what I share is enough and no more. Allow what I say to flow with what I do. Also, just because I'm playing the role of instructor doesn't mean I have to speak all the time. Learn to listen. Learn to ask more questions. Be aware of what's enough and what's too much. Just like people play their edge in their practice, I have to play their edge as a teacher. What can they absorb at this moment?

Domagoj knowledgeably prattles on for at least fifteen minutes before commencing in asana and pranayama. He sings praises about his teachers (and how they chose him out of many) and waxes on and on about pamphlets he's written and youtube channels where we can find his work.

If I hear the name "Mark Whitwall" one more time, I'm going to put a sinful slice of salami in his vegetarian chili and rob him of his yoga powers.

I taught Thai massage yesterday. We were scheduled to go to Stiniva beach for our early afternoon break, but it mizzled and drizzled all morning and all afternoon, so Jurate asked if I'd be up for teaching Thai.

In an hour.

I'm getting much better at not panicking when this kind of unexpected business barges through the door.

I've only taught one class before... and since Nici was kind enough to purchase my book, all my info is now stored on Milda's computer. Blurgh. Can I lead this two hour session with no notes? Are there any other options available to us right now? No? No. Okay. Aimee's leading Thai for the second time ever. 

Here goes. 

Here went.  Here went wonderfully. It inspires me to watch how quickly people can transcend physical boundaries and start to lovingly, playfully therapeutically touch each other.

These are the spaces I want to help create.

"Each touch is a gift. Pour your body weight evenly through your hands. Explore how your body fits into theirs. Explore with the heels of your feet, the palms of your hands, your fingers and toes. Be here. Be mindful. Be aware of your partner's breath. If they look happy, you're probably doing it right. If they look like they're receiving an electric shock, perhaps it's time to reevaluate your technique. As you connect, allow yourself to melt into trust. Trust your partner to love. Trust your partner to care. Trust your partner to receive. Trust your partner to communicate their needs. See if you can take the deep trust you feel in this moment and carry it with you through the door and into the rest of your day."

Jurate (who is quickly becoming a very close friend) and I participated in Domagoj's restorative evening class before leading the final meditation. As I'd downloaded a meditation app for my iphone (complete with timer and Tibetan singing bowl sound effects), we were even more professional sounding than usual.


Which isn't exceedingly professional, but hey, this is my first week being co-master of meditation. I'm allowing myself slack. And feathers.

In other news, I've been enjoying balancing on thighs.


Pressing lovely ladies into deeper down dogs --


Flying people on my feet and releasing compressed spines.


There's a lot of sitting in Domagoj's class --


-- so there are a good many spines to be released.


This makes me a happy, happy yogi.

Although Domagoi says that none of us are allowed to call ourselves yogis.

No comments:

Post a Comment