Monday, September 8, 2014

Life Gives Me What I Need -- Barcelona, Spain

I think I posted enough photos of architecture in Barcelona yesterday to allow for one entry with zero photos (get ready for some tomorrow, though. Paolo and I are visiting a castle tonight. There could be a sunset. And this girl loses her bananas as well as any sense of restraint around sunsets).

I slept about a wink and a half last night. Children yelled and giggled. Women chatted away in Catalan and men grumbled through the walls.

"Grumble, mumble, grumble, grunt, grrhaaaahrrrrgggah...." 

It's like that book... "The Borrowers". I feel like there are whole families of extremely animated Spaniards living in Paolo's walls. Cities, even. But instead of being quiet and mice-like, they're Fi-Fi-Fo-Fumming giants who squabble so loudly that the beanstalk trembles violently and Jack plummets to his death. And falls into a giant frying pan of paella.

This is the Spanish ending of Jack and the Beanstalk/"The Borrowers."

I spent the majority of the night (when I wasn't winking) worrying. Eyes wide open and brain grumbling nearly as loudly (and eight times as quickly) as the Spaniards in the walls.

What do I need to do to prepare for Mexico/my next adventure? What do I need to have?

For the last few months, I've been functioning (with a few exceptions) according to the philosophy of, "life will give me what I need when I need it. If I don't have it, perhaps it's not the right time. Perhaps I don't need it yet."

But I really do NEED some things for Mexico... don't I? I shouldn't just wait for them to happen, because what if they don't? If the money doesn't come for vaccinations, I shouldn't just go to Mexico without them, should I? That seems a little insane. Is this another situation where I just need to trust that things will work out if I take a few steps back, or should I be actively interfering? Getting my fingers dirty? 

So I decided to use this space to voice my current needs. As a sort of compromise between the Universe and my need to control everything/freak out all the time.

I'll just put my needs out there and see what happens. 

The contents of my rucksack have certainly seen better days.
  • two pairs of harem pants (which are ripped and falling apart)
  • one pair of yoga pants
  • one stained and torn sarong (thanks to Giuseppe's puppy)
  • two pairs of socks
  • two pairs of VERY worn-out underwear
  • three sad, stained shirts
  • one sports bra
  • one down jacket
  • one pair of flip-flops (already broken. I'm using a bobby pin to keep the thong attached)
  • one pair of running shoes
That is my wardrobe.

Hippie points. 

If any of the following items are collecting dust in your closet and you feel drawn to donate them to a traveling yogini, let me know.

These are my needs:
  • New shoes (size 7 1/2-8)
  • yoga pants/leggings (size 4-6)
  • camisoles (size small)
  • lightweight t-shirt (size small)
  • swimsuit (even though I prefer to be naked, I don't think many of Puerto Escondido's beaches are nudist)
  • a sarong (because they're god's gift to gallivanters)
  • probably should get some more underwear...
  • contact lenses and a new prescription 
  • money for vaccinations (I hear they're important when visiting Central and South America)  
If you want to donate money towards my vaccinations/eye examinations, go here: HELP ME NOT GET TYPHOID (and other nasty things)

These are my wants:
  • I would love to sell my GIGANTIC Nikon D60 + telephoto lens and purchase a small, good quality fujifilm. So that Ellie doesn't break my back on my next adventure.
  • I would love to sell my fat, heavy macbook pro and purchase a slim, light macbook air. 
  • I would love to sell my sleeping bag (that is nearly the size of my backpack) and purchase a significantly smaller sleeping bag (not quite the size of my backpack)
  • I would love to sell my old yoga equipment (loads of mats, bolsters, straps, blocks and blankets) to raise money for bus tickets (or vaccinations) 
If you have ideas about how best to sell my things (or if you want my things), please contact me through my facebook page: GG FACEBOOK

So. Brain. Listen up. You are not going to stay awake all night tonight, fretting and whining and worrying about the future. You are going to allow Aimee to sleep (for the first time in a week, at this point) and you're going to trust that life will give you what you need when you need it. 

But if you don't get the money for vaccinations, it's okay to postpone Mexico until you make the money for vaccinations. Don't be stupid. Being stupid is never a good idea. 

5 comments:

  1. I deleted my fb account long ago, so I'll respond here. Do you need to sell these things before you are back in CO or during your stay? I am interested in buying your laptop (if I can afford the asking price). I have a sleeping bag that I'd happily donate to you if it suits your needs/wants. If neither of those work out, I will try to make a donation to your fund. I've wanted to for ages anyway!
    - Tonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonya! I was planning on selling my laptop for six hundred. Selling it in GJ would be perfect because that would mean that I can keep blogging for the next three weeks. :) Let me know if you want it and let me know when we can hang out. Love!

      Delete
    2. I think I can swing six hundred and love that the purchase will be mutually beneficial.
      Any Saturday, Sunday or Monday in October could work for us to visit in terms of my schedule. I'm excited to hear (in person) more of your amazing adventures! Will you be teaching any beginning yoga classes while in town? -Tonya

      Delete
    3. That's perfect! Now I can buy my new camera. :) Ummm... would you like to meet at MSB on the first Sunday of October?

      I wasn't planning on teaching beginning yoga classes, but I could probably make a couple happen.

      Delete
  2. Sunday, October 5th sounds great! I'm looking forward to it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete