Thursday, June 2, 2011

Final Preparations

Well, the ten day countdown goal certainly didn't happen -- mostly because I really haven't had that much to prepare, believe it or not. I'll be bringing as few things as possible on this epic adventure, so my time hasn't really been consumed with packing. Things I am bringing, however, include:

iPhone
Collapsible keyboard to sync with iPhone
Yoga mat
HD video camera to keep up my interview project
Kindle -- I plan on getting through the complete works of William Shakespeare, something I should have down a LONG time ago. 
Tripod
Paddock boots for when I have to frolic with hundreds of goats
LONG UNDERWEAR
GRE study guide
Headlamp
Six tiny locks for my suitcase -- to prevent drug dealers from stuffing it with all sorts of unpleasantness.

I think that's all the stuff beyond the basics I'll be bringing with me. If anyone has any suggestions as to what might come in handy for yoga school or WWOOFing, let me know. 

I've been wanting to get out of Junction for so long that it's kind of blowing my mind a little that I am actually, definitively leaving in the near future. I'm beginning to think of all the things I'm going to miss about this conservative little desert city. My initial excitement at getting out and learning about different cultures is becoming a bit tainted by, "Holy crap, I'm about to travel to a couple of countries by myself, where I don't know the local languages or customs, I'm god-awful with directions and I trust people way more than I should." 

And after I indulge in my little panic-party, I remind myself of one of the main reasons I'm doing this trip. Namely, forcing myself into situations wherein I'll have to work on all the things about my personality that need a bit of tender tweaking. I want to get over my fear of strangers and my general awkwardness around new people. I want to learn to navigate new cities and not feel bad about having to ask for directions. I want to develop the independence that this adventure is going to force me into developing. 

I've been trying to take all those fears and channel them back into my original excitement. An excitement to learn about organic farming and yoga and the musicality of Ireland (that will hopefully find its way into my plays). 

This time next week, I'll be in Madrid. Probably looking for my hostel and desperately lost. But I've decided that I'm not going to worry about all the times I'm going to inevitably get lost and focus on enjoying every moment of befuddlement. I mean, there are much worse places in which I could lose myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment