Friday, June 17, 2011

Plaza Mayor

I'm writing this post from the dorm room of my second hostel in Madrid. I tried to couchsurf for this four night break between Pueblo Ingles and my yoga training program, but the couchsurfers I contacted wouldn't give me any solid answers regarding where to meet, when to meet, and how to meet. So I decided to bite the bullet and pay for a hostel. It is a lot nicer than the one one on Gran Via where I spent my first tumultuous night in Madrid. However, the entrance scared the bejesus out of me. It's a very old building near one of the main plazas in Madrid, Plaza Mayor. The big wooden door was left wide open, there were construction supplies stacked against the walls, and there were no lights. The side of the building had scaffolding all the way to the top, and the entire structure looked dilapitated and abandoned. After spending six hours on a bus, thirty minutes wandering the metro, and twenty minutes weaving my way through the congested streets of Madrid with my ENORMOUS bag, I just about collapsed in an anxious smelly heap in front of the terrifying building. I was sure that it had been abandoned long ago and that I had somehow been scammed into paying sixty five euros to stay at a hostel that didn't exist.

But I decided to stick to my guns about not panicking in these sorts of situations. I dragged my luggage into the dusty, pitch black building, found an elevator, and squeezed myself in. The elevator was very dimly lit, had a metal grating, and was hardly large enough for my bags and me. I have never felt so claustrophobic in my life. I hit the button for floor number four, and up the elevator went, painstakingly slowly. I made a mental list of all the numbers I could call when the elevator stalled and trapped me in that tiny space.
But the elevator finally stopped at floor number four and I tumbled out, right in front of the door that led tIo my hostel. The Spaniard who answered was incredibly friendly and told me to sit down and try to regain some sort of calm. So... I'm calming down. Writing my blog and trying to ignore the two girls walking around in their underwear. I can't understand a word they're saying, but it looks like they'll be leaving soon. They're applying make-up and dancing in front of a small standing mirror to the song, "Can't get no satisfaction." God.

A view from my hostel


A view of the famous plaza -- from my hostel. This is where the Inquisition carried out many of their executions. 

My last couple of days at Pueblo Ingles were absolutely magical, and I miss them already. My yoga presentation went well, and several people told me that I would make an excellent teacher. I went on a gorgeous hike with a very friendly Spaniard who kept telling me that I was "unique", but always pronounced it "eunuch". 

Hiking with Antonio

Hiking with Antonio
I arranged to stay with two Irish girls when I'm in Ireland, and a woman from South Africa is picking me up from the airport in Dublin the day I arrive. Thus, if I stay with Svetlana during my five days off in Italy, this will be the last time I have to stay at a hostel during my travels. I don't think I'll miss them. At the moment, the cigarette smoke is mixing with the hairspray and nail polish and the perfume to serve as a sickly sweet, instant headache inducer.

I had my first interview out of America yesterday, and it couldn't have gone better. It was very encouraging to have my project so positively received. I have another interview planned for tomorrow afternoon, and one planned for Monday.

I'm becoming very efficient at charging my electronics and washing my clothes in the sink. I've learned that an Australian will say "Have you not?", a Brit will say "Haven't you?", and an American will say "You haven't?" I've learned that in some countries, when your ears are ringing, it means that someone is thinking of you. In Spain, when someone is blind, they say, "You can't see over the donkey's back." I've learned that out of all the Americans here, I have the smallest potato in my mouth. I've learned what it's like to talk nonstop eight days in a row, and it's a lot harder than it sounds.

Well... I think I'm going to go ahead and try to study some yoga before I call it a night. I miss you all very, very much. Anna, I'll write you back soon, I promise.

Lots of love,

-Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment