Thursday, June 9, 2011

Flight out of Denver and first day in Madrid

I'm writing this post from a claustrophobic little hostel near the city center of Madrid. The room in which I'll be spending the night has six beds and is smaller than the room I shared with Jason, Jared, and Jaime growing up. The bunks squeak and the mattresses are lumpy, but the water pressure in the bathroom is excellent, something I'm told is quite the rarity. But I digress...

My plane left Denver for Toronto at ten thirty on the dot. The flight was uneventful and the plane itself was full of new gimmicks that will one day undoubtedly make their way into all major airline aircrafts. Screens on the back of every seat, two chargers for each person, multiple movies to choose from. I would have had myself a heyday if I hadn't been so broken up after leaving Alex at the airport. So I tried to relax while listening to the playlist Alex gave me as a parting gift.

Last photo with Alex at Denver Airport

I spent six hours waiting for my next flight. I charged my phone, lonelily emailed my boyfriend, and watched the Canadian news. I heard several "aboat"s and all "aboat" the tornados that were hitting Toronto. Great things to hear when waiting for a flight. The lightning storm outside the airport was pretty magnificent, though. I got a couple of pictures of lightning that looked like it was striking down right behind a parked plane.

Airport storm

The flight from Toronto to Madrid was long, and I was so hungry and tired that I ate the airplane food. All of it. There was the hour delay before the plane took off (due to the tornados), there was the painstakingly bad Liam Neesan film, and there was the baby who wouldn't stop crying. So I guess it was an uneventful trip.

I arrived in Madrid at about noon, and had two hours to claim my baggage, find an ATM, buy a bus ticket, and make my way into the center of Madrid to meet the Pueblo Ingles team for lunch. And you know what? I did it all perfectly in two hours and five minutes -- which felt amazing.

At lunch, I met a wonderful Canadian woman named Carrie. We talked about the Rocky Mountains and middle schoolers (the two things we have in common) for two hours. After we'd finished our lemon rice and pork, we went upstairs for briefing and flamenco dancing. I was able to video most of it, so I'll try to find a way to post it via youtube later.

I am now showered, fed, and very excited about the week ahead of me at Coto de Valle.

Alex, I'll try to Skype you tomorrow. I tried today, but you weren't online. Also, I can't seem to access my email account from here - which I'm hoping is just a temporary hitch, because that would definitely make WWOOFing a lot more difficult.

Saying goodbye to my family Tuesday afternoon was incredibly difficult. You've all been so supportive of me taking this trip, and I know that I wouldn't be here without your help. Anna, I miss talking to you about math and horseback riding and your best friends. Jaime, I miss your epic smile and contagious laugh. Jared, I miss your extremely inappropriate sense of humor. Jason, I miss your hugs and encouragement. Mom, I miss your healing soup and hands. Dad, I miss your support and drive.

Alex, I miss you. All of you. Even the part that likes watching basketball so damn much. I love you. Be good.

-Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment