Friday, February 24, 2012

Motorcycling About and an Evening Out -- Toulon

One of my favorite aspects about couchsurfing is that you don't need to be willing to offer a couch/have the need to crash on a couch in order to participate. There are many people who just use the system to meet people from other cultures. As the idea of the project is cultural exchange, people are extremely happy to show you what they love most about the place in which they live.

Wednesday afternoon, Xavier took me on a motorcycle ride through the mountains of Toulon. It was absolutely breathtaking, and I thoroughly enjoyed being on a motorcycle. As Xavier doesn't speak much english and I don't speak much french, conversation was primarily restricted to, "Ca va?" "Ca va."

But I think we both had a good time. We went out for coffee afterwards and I was able to learn that he planned to spend the next few months as a nurse on a submarine. I told him that he ought to visit me in Colorado after his summer spent underwater. He seemed to think this was a very good idea, so I might be able to host Xavier this October.

A view of Toulon. Such a fun motorcycle ride.

Aurelie and Vincent took me out to dinner with a few of their friends on Thursday night. It was what Aurelie called a "blind test". The owner of the restaurant played different songs and each table had to guess the artist. The first table to guess the artist correctly was poured a free shot. You paid 25 euros (Aurelie and Vincent were generous enough to treat me), and were given a superb main course, bountiful wine, dessert, and however many shots you were able to win.

As expected, I guessed nary an artist. I will stand by my excuse that the majority of the music was French, so it's okay that I remained rather mute as the rest of the partygoers squeezed their squeaky toys and frantically shouted names.

 I have never been to such a quirky, adorable restaurant (yes, restaurants can be adorable). It's called, "L'Ane au Salon," which means, "The Monkey in the Living Room." If you are ever visiting this part of France and do NOT make a trip to the Monkey in the Living Room, you are doing yourself a terrible disservice. I had such a marvelous evening. There was a beautifully designed garden outside, a cozy lounge for smokers, and a tastefully funky dining room. If I actually lived and worked in Toulon, I'd make it a point to visit this restaurant every other week. It had such a good atmosphere, mouth-watering food, and a really friendly (mostly crazy) owner. It was a restaurant with personality. Lots of it.

The lounge

Everything in the restaurant is for sale. It's half gallery, half restaurant. I want to make a place like this in Colorado. 



My meal of raw tuna, apples, mango, and vegetables
Everyone else ordered hamburgers. Very, VERY tasty looking hamburgers

I adore Aurelie. She has a delightful sense of humor, is an ideal yoga student, loves life, and is bursting with wise one-liners. When asked, "If you could do one thing for one person, what would you do and who would it be for?" she answered, "I would give my boyfriend a great big kiss." 

I enjoy the woman's face in the glass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment