Monday, February 20, 2012

Winter Picnics and Foraging through Flea Markets -- Toulon

Jerome spent the entire last week at sea, deactivating bombs and doing general navy training exercises. Bibou capably stepped into the shoes of, "man of the house," and Caroline and I carried about our business as usual. The weather has been a lot better in Southern France as of late, but I'm still fairly bitter about the week of snow. I keep hearing from everyone, "12 years! In 12 years, it has not snowed like that!" 

I'm a lucky lady. 

The snow has long melted, and although it's chilly in the mornings, the afternoons are perfect. I've been taking advantage of the sublime weather by running on the beach (I look a little silly in my baggy yoga pants and casual sweater -- all the other French runners have high tech sweat wicking pants and jackets. They take running very seriously here) and going for walks into town. We had one night of wind so strong that it broke all the ashtrays and moved the dryer one foot away from the wall (the dryer is on the terrace), but I adore wind, so I didn't mind. 

The weekend was spent picnicking at the local beach with Antoine, Vincent, Aurelie, Caroline, and Bibou, teaching yoga to Aurelie and Vincent, and visiting a nearby flea market with Caroline and Bibou. 

There's a lot of wind in Toulon, so the beach is a windsurfer's heaven. 

French picnic. Baguette sandwich and wine. 

At the flea market 


The try to sell everything here. Phones, makeup, yoga mats, hair dryers, engines, cutlery -- everything. 
 After the market, we headed back to the Pernot apartment and I taught Aurelie and Vincent yoga on their terrace for an hour. Getting to work with people like Aurelie on a consistent basis is really showing me how happy I could be as a full-time yoga teacher. It's so rewarding and energizing to know that you're helping someone to relax, get a bit of exercise, and feel good. 

I really am a very, very lucky lady. 

No comments:

Post a Comment